Welcome to Dude Write!We are thrilled to have you here, whether you are a Writer Dude, a Blogger Dude, a Reader Dude or a Fanatic of good writing. If you've stumbled upon us via a link and wondering what you've gotten yourself into, our Mission Statement should explain it all.
And no, we're not going to show off our mad synchronized dance moves in a flash mob.
Flash Fiction or Sudden Fiction is a writing style that is characterized by:
- Brevity - there is no established limit in most circles but shorter than a short story.
- Containing many classic story elements - protagonist, conflict, obstacles, and resolution.
What makes this contest different from Flash Fiction Chronicles or Flash Fiction (.in) or Flash Fiction Online or many others you may ask?
There's a good chance that some of our writers have written in this style, but many of us have not. Nothing says well-rounded writer like getting out of your comfort zone. (or Keg Party!) As self-proclaimed amateurs, we aren't going to feel bad competing against each other, right? If we get a few ringers crashing the party, so be it, then we'll challenge them to hang in the Starting Lineup.
So we have to have some rules.
- Gotta start with the line we give you.
- No more than 500 words. (we don't intend to count each and every word, but if we do keep it under 500)
- New (you'll have almost a month to write and post) Original (non-pornographic) Fictional work.
- Lastly and in keeping with the mission statement, you gotta be a dude.
wait for it...
Dairy! (hope you're not lactose intolerant)
Stories will be judged on Wow Factor! Judges will be looking for stories that have some of the elements of a classic story. Keep in mind that leaving some things to the imagination of the reader is desirable in this style. The more punch in the less lines the better.
After this initial contest, we'll decide if the idea is a Flash in the Pan (let the awful groaning commence) so think up some great ideas and post your best entry sometime in July.
As always our Dude-tra (like a mantra, only better) :
Read (as many as you can), Tweet (and/or comment on the ones you like), and Vote (for your favorite...that isn't yours).
Need more help, try starting at Writing World.
Here is this month's starting sentence.
"If you'd told (me, him, her, them) two weeks ago that..."
YOU ONLY GET ONE VOTE (not your own) MAKE IT COUNT!